Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Tuesday 4 27 21 morning call

This came up in my Facebook memories. I've done plenty weird things with my gear throughout the years and this is one of them. Here's the words I used to explain it: "The board is a 6.2x20.75x2.5, no way to stand on it if it's still. Here's the sequence: catch the wave, standup with the front foot in the strap, grab the paddle and rip the hell out of the poor wave... I don't think it will ever be a mass sport.. LOL!"

The reason why I did it is that I love having a front foot strap and a paddle on my small wave SUP board and I wanted to see how it would feel to have them also on a regular shortboard. I tested the setup one day at Thousand Peaks and those couple of waves in which I managed to do everything right, the advantage given by the strap and the paddle were quite evident. The whole process was too complicated though, and having a footstrap under my chest was too much of a bother. Nice memory though.


6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers

1.8ft @ 15s from 213° (SW)
1.4ft @ 13s from 210° (SSW)

Lanai

2.3ft @ 14s from 212° (SW)

South shore is going to be the only option. Check the Lahaina or Kihei webcams if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


Kihei gets some too.


North shore
NW001
3.5ft @ 15s from 285° (WNW)

Waimea

1.1ft @ 16s from 298° (WNW)
0.9ft @ 14s from 286° (WNW)

Pauwela

3ft @ 8s from 76° (ENE)
0.9ft @ 14s from 331° (NNW)

Pat Caldwell called for pancake conditions and that's what the north shore is going to look like today. The WNW energy at the NW buoys is too west for us and the easterly windswell has gone down, today is going to be a rare day of no waves and no wind. Maybe knee to waist on the eastern exposures.

Forecast and energy spectrum of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.



Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.



No comments: