Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sunday 10 28 18 morning call

A shortboard and a SUP session for me yesterday. Didn't take any photo on the south shore, here's how Hookipa looked like in these photos by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.

The 2018 Aloha Classic waiting period (they can use 11 days of competition until November 10) starts today. There will be the opening at the beach at 9am and competition is pretty much guaranteed to start at 11am. My guess is that the conditions will be good for the pro's, so there might be a start with a bang. Updates (including when the streaming is up) are supposedly being posted on this instagram page (I hope I got it right). Meanwhile, this is the schedule of the social events.

3am significant buoy readings
South shore
4.1ft @ 13s from 110° (ESE)

3.6ft @ 13s from 155° (SSE)

3.3ft @ 13s from 170° (S)

3.6ft @ 14s from 207° (SSW)
4.1ft @ 14s from 200° (SSW)
0.7ft @ 20s from 202° (SSW)
Lanai keeps topping the readings showing for the 9th day in a row 4f 14s or more. Actually, today there's also 0.7f 20s, which might signal another (this time unpredicted) new long period pulse. I have an early board meeting, so I'll report by 6.30 on the conditions at Ukumehame.
North shore
7.8ft @ 13s
6.9ft @ 13s from 348° (NNW)
7.1ft @ 13s from 346° (NNW)
4.8ft @ 13s from 346° (NNW)
4.5ft @ 8s from 64° (ENE)
New NNW swell on the rise at all the buoys. Below is Pauwela's graph together with the Surfline forecast. As you can see, the two curves (dark blue and purple) match beautifully, so we'll expect this swell to behave exactly how the purple line shows for the next three days. After that a new swell of similar size but more westerly direction (orange line) will pick up on Wednesday and peak at 7f 14s from 315.
Today's swell is from around 346 instead, which will be great for the rights at Hookipa and also for Honolua.

Wind model page not working today, here's the 10 days outlook from Windguru. Possible windsurfing action at the contest today and tomorrow, then it gets ugly and wet with the arrival of a front (heavy rain Tuesday night) and then they'll have to wait until Saturday to have good wind again. That is unless something changes in the meantime.

North Pacific has a NW swell (Wednesday's swell) and a remnant small N one.

South Pacific has a couple of fetches in the Tasman Sea. The Kalama Kamp will have big waves once again.

Morning sky. Clouds moving in from the south.

No comments: