Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Tuesday 5 8 18 morning call

A longboard session for me yesterday, while my foiling buddies went on a smoking windy Kihei downwind run. Here's the video that Jeremy Riggs put together. Might be extremely boring if you don't foil, for me it's fascinating. Damn, I need my fingers to get better soon.

5 Minutes Of Fun! from Paddle With Riggs on Vimeo.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
2.2ft @ 12s from 135° (SE)
1.1ft @ 15s from 140° (SE)
 
A little bit of southerly energy at the W buoy should mean that the Lahaina side will not be flat once again. But I wouldn't expect much more than that, as the Surfline forecast only calls for 0.8f 11s.

North shore
N
9.5ft @ 15s from 339° (NNW)           
5.3ft @ 10s from 330° (NW)
 
Pauwela
7.1ft @ 14s from 7° (N)
5.1ft @ 9s from 356° (N)
4.2ft @ 7s from 52° (ENE)
 
The swell did arrive and the numbers at Pauwela are pretty impressive. With such a close generating fetch (see the maps of the last couple of days) and some trades on it, Hookipa will obviously be a big mess. Seek for sheltered spots is my recommendation. Honolua will be breaking for sure, would love to see how big and what quality (my guess on this last one is medium/low), but can't make it today. If someone goes, please send me pics, thanks.

Wind map at noon.
 
North Pacific taking a day of break and only shows a tiny fetch in the NW corner, as the main fetch of that low is not aiming mostly at Canada.
 
Not much on offer either from the South.
 
Morning sky.
 

No comments: